Kim in London

Friday, July 29, 2005

Bravo!

The lon-awaited debut of Kim on the Globe stage has now passed. It was every bit as momentous as you might imagine. It was loads of fun and noce to seee the long hours of work pay off.

The task that we had was to present act 1 scene i of The Tempest with only props and text, no sound effects or vocal effects or instruments. There were three other groups and they had limitations as well: one was only text, one could only use vocal effects and text, and one could only use musical effects and props. If you've never seen or read the play, then this might not seem that difficult, but trust me, it is. The scene takes place on a ship in a storm. It's important that you create the sense of the stgorm building on the stage.

Our scene was a lot of fun. We had a phenomonal director, who also took her time to teach us things to use in the classroom, which was most helpful because that is what the essence of this experience is. Our little group really group really bonded during the process and we learned to trust each other and feel completely at ease in our exercises--it will be hard to say good bye tomorrow night.

Seeing the four interpretations was amazing. It's so incredible to see the four very different ways that the same scene can be played. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a copy of a video to use in class to demonstrate that and to show how there is no one "right" way to do anything.

It was very envigorating to be on that stage. Acting is such hard work, though. I realize that as I sit here and I'm dead tired. We've run ourselves to death for this scene and it was only seven minutes long--an entire play of The Tempest here is two hours or more. I can't even imagine the toll those rehearsals must take.
b
We start late tomorrow, so I'm hoping to sleep in. I have the most arduous of all tasks still before me--packing. It's going to be a challenge. I fear I am not up to it.

2 Comments:

  • I'll bet you are exhausted, but I am sure it's that good kind of tired, that 'job well done' tired.

    The scenes sound fascinating.
    So glad you have to able to have all these experiences, and even better, were able to share them.

    I haven't made many comments, but I am so enjoying reading your travel blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2005 11:03 AM  

  • Have a safe trip home!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 29, 2005 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home