Kim in London

Sunday, July 24, 2005

To Market, To Market...

to buy a pashmina? Well, I never claimed to be Shakespeare, now did I?

I ventured north to Camden Town today and experienced a totally different kind of market--Camden Market. Basically, it's a flea market. If it was back in the states, I don't think I would have even crossed the street to go there, but since it's London, I lugged myself up the Northern line into Zone 2 in the freaking rain to see what they had to offer. I went with Andy, a lovely gentleman who is from Louisville and teaches drama to middle schoolers blesshisheart. We were the oldest people there, I do believe. Camden Market is skewed for the young hip crowd and I'm not sure that we qualified, although we both did make purchases. I, the aforementioned pashmina in a stunning shade of gold, and he a bag to use to take souvenirs home. I suppose the market experience would have been more pleasant if it hadn't been raining, but it was, so it was fairly nasty. In addition to having to manuever an umbrella, I, for some reason that defies explaining, wore flip flops, so I was trying not to slip and kill myself. Needless to say, I wasn't sorry to leave old Camden Town.

After mulling around with the youngsters for a bit, we headed to Covent Garden which is a tourist trap, but I still love it. I found an adorable purse at a shop called Octopus and I had to purchase it, as well as the matching coin purse, even though I am not really a purse person (and yet, I bought three in NYC?). Then we headed over to the Theater Museum which was interesting for awhile, but got old before we were done, so we left. At that point, my feet were killing me and my knee was sore. I suppose this is where I should mention that I'd actually slipped and nearly fallen flat on my face stepping onto a curb in the Leicester Square due to the incredibly ill-advised footware. By this time, my knee was throbbing as a result of that incident and I was just ready to call it a day.

We trudged back south and I collapsed in my room with a bag of books that I'd purchased up in Camden. I'd stumbled (literally and figuratively--they has some amazingly slipperly terrazzo tile in the entrance that was just like glass when it was wet and one is wearing flip flops in the rain) upon a sale at a shop where they had some good title on sale 3 for 5 pounds. They also had The Da Vinci Code for 3.99 which was a huge bargain since I'd almost paid $16.99 in the states for it in paperback. I was happy to be able to relax in my room and read for a bit.

Dinner, however, has to be eaten, and eventually, I was rousted. Met up with some friends at the local pub and we all shared what we'd done for the weekend. It's fun just to meet up and talk and catch up. Since we're not all in the same hall, we don't see each other on the weekend, so we don't know what's going on. Sitting there it was so nice to see familiar faces walking by and be able to call out to them and talk. Then I went with three others to a lovely little Italian place called Paradiso for dinner. Company was excellent, food was so-so.

Now I'm going to take the longest shower possible and then collapse with my Da Vinci Code (I'm on page 149) until I fall asleep. Late start tomorrow, but I've got to figure out a way to do laundry in the morning because I think I'm out of clean clothes and I'm too tired to mess with it tonight. I'm going to try to go see Mousetrap tomorrow night and it would be nice to have something clean to wear.

1 Comments:

  • Whil you are doing all this shopping, please remember your exhausted, frazzled, bout crazy babysitters back in WVA. I love diamonds, gold, silver, Port Marion, Tea Pots,& Harrods Truffles
    Your dad just loves books. Did I mention that I love diamonds and Harrods chocolate and Port Marion?

    yomama

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 24, 2005 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home