Kim in London

Monday, July 25, 2005

It's Pricey to be a Brit

FYI, it costs nothing short of a boatload of money to live and work in London--even the modest borough of Southwark (which, by the way is pronounced Suthuk, not South Wark in case you're interested). Considering the horrendous exchange rate, it makes me fairly ill to think about how much money I spend on something as simple as lunch, but there really isn't much choice, so I've just had to suck it up and do it.

When you come to a foriegn country and deal in another currency, I firmly believe that it's in your best interest to just adjust your thinking to that currency, so that's what I've done this month. I cannot let myself worry to much about the exchange rate everytime I buy something or I'd go mad. things in the gift shops, bottles of water, etc.--it's not like I can get them back home or anywhere else at this time anyway, so I just take the money that I have in pounds and budget accordingly (yes, I used the word budget with a straight face).

Some examples of prices, for the record, all prices in British currency--p=pence which is like cents back home.

bottled water--1 liter from Marks and Spencer, still, not bubbly 66p
bottled water--1 liter from a market, still, anywhere from 1.79 on up
bottled water-16 oz or so from EAT or Pret or a cafe 70p-90p
muffin from Starbucks--1.30
ham and cheddar sandwich from EAT--2.60
lemon cheesecake from Pret a Mange--1.70
crisps--60p
croissant w/jam from cafe--1.00
Coke-equivalent to 16 oz-anywhere from 1.00-1.20
Pizza at Pizza Express for one person, VAT included, no tip--7.35
glass of house wine-3.00
pint of Fosters at most pubs-2.70-3.00
pint of Kronenberg--4.00
candy bar--60p-80p
shampoo-1.99
lotion from superdrug--on sale! .99p
curling iron from Boots-11.99
hair dryer from Boots 4.99
theatre program for West End show 3.00
ticket for West End Show-12.00-50.00
ticket for "groundling" at The Globe--5.00
ticket for restricted view at The Globe--13.00
one day travelcard for London transit-4.70
one trip bus fare-1.20, day time, .80p night
taxi from Manna Ash to the Globe 4.00
cheesecake from Marks and Spencer--2 slices--1.79p
chicken and bacon sandwich from M & S--2.50
London Eye--12.50
admission to Queen's Gallery-7.50
a postcard at most tourist attractions-.50p
a postcard stamp to the US 37p
mobile phone call to US on Virgin-2op per minute
mobile phone call in UK on Virgin--15p for first 2 minutes, then 5p after that
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--11.99 at Waterstones, 7.99 at Tesco
full English breakfast at The Founder's Arms--4.95
A tour with The Original London Walks-5.50
souvenir magnet-2.99
poster from museum-7.99-15.99


Now, multiply any of those by 1.73 and you'll see what it costs in dollars. I end up spending at least five pounds on lunch every day, even when I don't mean to, it happens. I've had to use the bus and taxis more than I thought due to my knee and I've not been able to cook much here because the kitchen has very few dishes and we're never here at meal times. I keep telling myself that this is why I have a job and I'll just enjoy the trip for what it is and worry about the money later---that sounds reasonable, right?

I'm starting to worry about packing. Must jettison some junk or else I'm not sure how on earth I'll get myself to the airport without breaking my back. I've got a stack of newspapers a mile high--probably don't need every one of them from the bombings and all. I need to cull some and take out the pages that have nothing to do with the events. It's just too much to think about right now. It also irks me to think that I'm going to have to leave behind my box of detergent that I forked over 3.99 for and it's still over half full. That's the most expensive detergent I've ever owned, but I can't see how in the world I'll get it in the suitcase without spilling. Grrrrrrrr.

4 Comments:

  • BIG school update. Check your email.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2005 6:49 PM  

  • Put the detergent in a ziploc, write "uncut C" on the bag and set it on top in your suitcase. NO PROBLEM!

    W.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2005 7:09 PM  

  • Why leave the country? Come to NYC and spend the same amount of money for things! We'll even detain you for an hour or so for wearing a backpack while riding a tour bus :)

    I hate packing-good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 26, 2005 1:04 PM  

  • But you forgot:

    Spending a month in London--Priceless

    And Da Moon? Is so right. The exchange rate in NYC is crazy. And the bag checks? You would be amazed at what people carry in their packs - I swear I have seen cops blush!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 26, 2005 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home