Kim in London

Saturday, July 09, 2005

So Very, Very Busy

It takes a lot of time to get lost, you know, so I can't come be online as much as I would like.

Really, it's hard to believe that I am allowed to have children of my own, let alone bring other people's children to foriegn countries sometimes. I got South Kensington and High Street Kensington mixed up today--this is something that I have done now the the last four times I've come to London, so you would think I would learn, but no. Sort of like me getting lost on Oxford Street every.stinking.time.I.get.on.a.bus. I am glad I'm moving tomorrow. Perhaps the new home away from home will bring me good luck.

I spent the first half of my day, before I got lost, at the Victoria and Albert Museum, which is called the V&A here. It? is my new favorite place. I will be going back very soon because I didn't get through anywhere near all of it. I was only on the second floor--and there are four--when I had to go. I was just overwhelemed. I'll add more when I can upload some pictures and am not paying for internet by the minute.

After I left, that's when I waddled over the the South Kensington tube only to discover that I was supposed to be at High Street Kensington. In five minutes. Now, they are on the same tube line, but there was no way I was going make this happen. Not even if a train appeared right then, which of course because this was me we were dealing with, it didn't. One had just left as I was stumbling down the stairs. So, I missed my walking tour of Kensington which I had already missed on Thursday. Not to fear, there was another walk that wasn't starting until 2:30 at the Tower Hill Tube Stop and I could make that. It was The London Wall walk. Not one I would have picked as my first choice, but it ties in with what I teach and wasn't about Jack the Ripper or ghosts, so I was game.

I made it to Tower Hill with time to spare...the London Underground is the best transportation system in the world. There is a reason why the people in this city will travel it no matter what the terrorists throw their way. It is absolutely sublime. You can zip across London in nothing flat. It amazes me everytime.

Anyway, I made it to the walk. It was supposed to be about two hours long. THREE hours later, we wrapped up just up from the St. Paul's tube station. I can't tell you how far that is, but I think it's at least 32 miles. Maybe further. I thought I was going to drop dead right there on the remains of an old Roman fort, which I hate to say, looked much less like an old Roman fort and more like the remains of an old junky garden wall, but I wasn't going to burst their bubble. I just hope nobody paid good money for this "fort". Obviously, they've not paid good money for the weed eater to go along with it. The guide was lovely and the story interesting, but really, there's only about 100 yards of the blessed wall left standing, maybe 200 at the most. How in the world we managed to stretch this out to a three hour event, I still haven't figured out. I remember lots of churches and places named Gate. I took notes--I'm a teacher after all--but after we left the Barbican area, I was done. Spent. Ready to go home. I really think there should be some sort of walking tour law that says after 2.5 hours, the guide must automatically stop no matter where he or she is.

I was going to go on a pub walk tonight, but I don't think I've got the energy to try it. I'll pack instead and try to head out to Hampstead Village tomorrow and then move over to Southwark and begin phase two of the great London adventure. I'm rather nervous about that part.





DISCLAIMER:I get sarcastic when I'm tired. I really actually appreciate a good pile of ancient Roman bricks covered with foliage and brush as much as the next person. Honest.

5 Comments:

  • It is a sad thing for a mother to have to admit, but it doesn't matter how much red ink you put on your head, the blond still showes through. If you get too lost, just call and I'll come find you. I am always looking for an excuse for a road (air) trip.

    yo mama

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 09, 2005 8:16 PM  

  • Sure, Nana can come help you find your way, but she will have 2 or 3 small boys in tow. Maybe you should just get a map or hire a guide.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 09, 2005 9:06 PM  

  • If you're anything like me, you'll learn your way around the day before you leave.
    Tina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 09, 2005 9:36 PM  

  • You people need to understand that I am not trying to win "Nana of the Year". If I have to decide between towing rug rats and a trip to London, Papa and the boys will be on their own as fast as you can say jetlag.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 10, 2005 10:26 AM  

  • Poor Papa! However, I can see them living on their own. The boys would have a blast! Papa might have to call Nanny 911.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 10, 2005 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home