Kim in London

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Chaos

It's been wild here as you can imagine. No subways or busses most of the day. Sirens screaming literally every five minutes most of the afternoon. Surreal. My hotel is evidently in a central road beccause there would be four or five police cars or amublances whizzing up and down the road every hour or so. I couldn't go anywhere, so I ended up just shopping on Oxford Street for a bit. It was rainy, which made it even more miserable.

People were walking up and down Oxford St. with their luggage in a panic trying to figure out how they were going to get to the airport. One girl told me that a cabbie said the fare to Stansted was going to be £100 and she was in tears. The railroads were all shut down and she had no idea what to do. People were about to come to blow over what cabs they could hail on the street due to the rain and the need. It was rather bizarre to watch.

The buses are back. I went over to Westminster abbey tonight. Was going to go for church, but I was too late due to the absolute craziness on the busses. They are so crowded due to the commuters and I also got totally lost. Outside of the Houses of Parliament there are policemen patrolling with very large machine guns of some sort. There are barracades and other policemen everywhere. I saw them searching a car as it was entering the gates.

Most of the shops along Oxford St. closed early in order to let their employees figure out a way to get home. I imagine it was the case across London. If you've never been here, it may be hard to imagine, but the Tube is truly the heart of the city and people use it the way we back in the States use our cars. Not having it is like not having the interstate for us. While I was in Selfridge's, there were little clusters of employees gathered here and there and they were all talking about how they were going to get home.

I managed to get lost coming home from Westminster. Stupid bus said it was going to Marble Arch and Orxford St and then terminated at Oxford Circus instead. I don't know HOW I ended up at Tottenham Court Road, but I did. And now I am tired beyond belief, so I'm headed back to my room for the night (it's 18:56 here, whatever time that is) to watch tv, eat dinner and hit the bed.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get out and do something that I'd planned, but who knows. I may just go sit in Hyde Park and be glad that I'm here.

10 Comments:

  • Thanks for the great update. Glad you are doing well. You will have so many stories to tell us when you get home!
    Tina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 2:38 PM  

  • Glad you are okay Kim. Keep us up to date and try to have some fun.
    DJ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 4:12 PM  

  • I just saw on the news...there were 2 sisters from Tennessee who were injured in the blast. I thought perhaps if you are anywhere near them, you might want to contact them. If I were in the hospital in a foreign country, it would be a comfort to see somebody from "home."

    The two girls are from Knoxville and are college students--Kathleen "Katie" Benton (21), and Emily Benton (20). They were on the subway. They are in a hospital, but it didn't say which hospital. Emily had surgery on her feet..Katie has shrapnel in her legs, back, and neck. They expect Emily to need more surgery and to be in the hospital at least for 2 more weeks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 5:29 PM  

  • Hey! I just heard you on the Channel 4 news! You're a Star!!!!
    Tina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 6:05 PM  

  • Mrs. Woody, you and your globetrotting escapades are making me uneasy! Be safe and careful! MEL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 6:17 PM  

  • I was really glad to see your post when I finally got onto the board today. Glad you're okay.

    As someone said earlier, there were 2 from the US injured. The report I saw said the the US embassy is still trying to find (as of the report) some 229 other US citizens known to be in London at the time. You may want to give the embassy a call tomorrow (later today - there) just to let them know you are okay & tell them where you are staying.

    Have fun. Stay safe.

    MysticWolf

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 6:55 PM  

  • Hey Kim!

    I am glad to hear you are safe and still have your sense of humour. I have been thinking about you all day.

    Love,
    Kari

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 8:58 PM  

  • Thnks for keeping us updated. Keep yourself safe!

    The news said that the Benton girls' mom was on her way. She went to Washington, DC, and they issued her a passport on the spot. I am glad those girls will get their mom soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 9:04 PM  

  • Here is what the Channel 4 website said: (I cut and pasted it here)
    Santa Fe Drama Teacher Kim Woody was jolted from her jet lag to the sound of sirens and pandemonium out on the streets.

    "Oxford Street was completely shut down. Businesses all closed early. People were out there fighting, not fist fighting, but arguing over cabs, trying to get cabs," said Kim Woody.

    Outside the British government offices there were frightening scenes of big guns.

    "Over by the houses of Parliament, they're patrolling with machine guns. I've never seen that before either again in all the times I've been here," said Woody.

    But with true volunteer spirit, she is holding her ground.

    “But Kim don't you worry the next waste basket you walk past night blow up in your face?" asked Reporter James Lewis.

    "You know, to some extent I guess I do. And on the other hand I could also get hit by a bus when I walk across the street," said Woody.

    Thought you'd like to read it; this is exactly what they said on TV.
    Tina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 10:39 PM  

  • Tonya here, too lazy tonight to register a real name.

    I'm glad you are safe and having an adventure. You are my hero, taking off to do something completely different. Many women would never risk getting lost alone in a foreign city. But not my friend Kim.

    Have fun and I look forward to reading the updates. Hope you have a truly Kimventure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2005 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home